How did it happen? I hung it on the back of my chair.. Yes, I know! An act of rank stupidity that I’ve cautioned so many others about…
But what is most disturbing is that it had to have been taken by someone who was dining at one of the nearby tables.
Lots of late night calls to police, credit card companies etc were a tiring addition to the distress of losing the bag and its contents.
Then, Tuesday morning comes a phone call from a chirpy young lady at Holloway Bus Garage in north London. “Have you lost anything?” she asked, presumably thinking that I had carelessly left my possessions on a bus.
“Well, I had a bag stolen last night,” I told her to which, in a rather more sober voice, she told me that she had it safe and sound in Lost Property…
A two-hour round trip to Holloway Road reunited me with my Tumi and, miraculously, some of the contents...
The thief’s choice of what to steal and what to dump is bizarre but interesting…
* Folding umbrella (It was raining)
* Oyster card (Stopped, so of no use)
* A rather nice, new pink silk tie (Stylish selection on the thief’s part!)
* Small bottle of Hermés Concentré D’Orange Verte eau de toilette (Excellent choice!)
* Nokia mobile phone (Old but still serviceable but, with the sim card stopped, no use to them or me)
* Canon ixus 5 mp digital camera (* Sigh * Sob!)
* Packet of Halter sugar free Apple bonbons (Well, they were sugar-free)
* Packet of Germoloid Tissues (Hurrah! At least the thief’s got piles!)
* Tumi bag (Worn, but still desirable)
* Ventolin inhalers (So the thief doesn't have asthma as well as piles; pity!)
* Oyster card folder (Thoughtful!)
* Leather credit-card wallet (A 50th birthday gift, so I’m glad to have that back)
* Entire contents of wallet: Membership cards to The Magic Circle, Equity and NUJ; PRESS card; NHS Pre-paid prescription card; Clapham Picture House and Dulwich Picture Gallery membership cards; Boots, W H Smith and Co-operative cards and a Steroid-users card.
* Silver, hallmarked pill box (Huh??)
* 3 credit cards (Doh!)
What was a Very Lucky Escape was that Buttons wasn’t along for the ride as he quite often is (see below); although he says that if he had been in the bag, then he would have Made a Loud Noise Enabling the Thief to be Apprehended!