Sunday 20 September 2015

REMEMBERING MISS COLLINS

She was not happy. Jackie Collins arrived at the reception desk of Bush House, London, (then the home of the BBC World Service) in a less than happy mood.

It was 1988, and I was going to interview Miss Collins about her new novel, Rock Star. As was my habit I had gone to meet my interviewee as opposed to waiting in the studio for someone to bring her to me.

I had long ago learned that the five minute walk-and-lift-journey to the studio was an invaluable ice-breaker. It had served me well, time and time again, but today it looked as if were going to fail me for the first time...
BS: You're having quite a hectic day, I imagine...

JC (Snappishly): All I can say, is I hope this interview is better than the last one!

BS (Suddenly feeling apprehensive): Oh dear, did it not go well?

JC: You could say that! One of your colleagues at Broadcasting House just started interviewing me by asking: "What can I possibly ask Jackie Collins that she hasn't been asked before?"

BS (Now decidedly anxious): Ah....

JC (Icily): I told him: "Why ask me? I thought that was supposed to be your job!" But, of course, it's easier to ask something like that than to actually read the book!
We travel the rest of the journey in silence. This is not going to be easy...

The red light goes on. The microphone is live. My throat feels as though I have swallowed the Sahara.

My opening question involves a scene and a quote from quite a way into the novel – because, although I had never read a Jackie Collins novel before Rock Star (and have never read another since), I had read the book!

Miss Collins begins (slowly at first) to melt...

What might have been the interview from hell, turns out to be a pleasure and delight.

Relaxed, Collins is wickedly funny....

The interview draws to a close and there's one final question still on my notepad that I've not asked yet.

Dare I ask it?

Yes, I think so!
BS: Jackie Collins, one of the characters in Rock Star says: “Sex is the most important thing in the world – more important even than money…”
She laughs. So far so good.

Right! Here goes...
BS (with a cheeky smile): So... what’s most important to Jackie Collins –– sex or money?
She doesn't bat an eyelid. Doesn't miss a beat...
JC: Both! –– And, preferably, together!


JACKIE COLLINS
1937-2015

<br />

4 comments:

Michael G. said...

How very bittersweet! May her memory be for blessing.
mg

Wobble The Witch Cat said...

All I can say is WOW Brian what a great way to remember the inimitable Ms.Collins!

Anonymous said...

Fab tribute!

Val said...

That was very Well done :o)