Tuesday 9 February 2016

CLEVER ENDEAVOUR

Like Morse and Lewis before it, Endeavour, is full of sly little smarty-pants touches for the eagle-eyed to spot: sometimes clues to solving the mystery, sometimes just little jokes or references worthy of Morse's cross-word obsession.

In the recent Series Three, just out on DVD, the opening episode, Ride, contained a brief shot of a dead student lying on the window seat of his college room...


...in a pose clearly intended to evoke Henry Wallis' 1856 painting, 'The Death of Chatterton', depicting the demise of boy poet, Thomas Chatterton, who, at the age of 17, committed suicide by arsenic poisoning.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad to find your post about this! "Ride" just premiered on PBS last night. I'd noticed what I thought was an allusion to the Death of Chatterton but was looking for confirmation that I wasn't being daft. Thank you!

Brian Sibley said...

You're welcome! I'm sure the makers of ENDEAVOUR will be pleased to know that at least TWO of us noticed the allusion!

T I G E R said...

Make that three. I've just done a Google search to see if I was right and found this page first up. Well done us!