Thursday 6 December 2007

DOWN BUT NOT OUT

Writing about comic strips recently in connection with Charles Schulz, has reminded me to introduce you to 'Downbeat', a new series of cartoons by my friend, ELLIOT COWAN.

Elliot writes:
"Some time last year I came up with the great idea for this single panel misery cartoon. It's inspired in part by my time spent working for giant communication corporations amongst other things. Nobody seemed to want it and it seemed a shame to let it rot in a folder, so I made a new blog where you can read all of them."


True, with their crushing put-downs and devastating side-swipes, they lack the cosy warmth of Charlie Brown and Snoopy's exploits; but, nevertheless, it's hard to imagine that they won't resonate with the more bitter life-experiences of a good many readers!

Enjoy! Well, if you see what I mean...






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Brian Sibley,
It's Bernard Adam Bargess here from http://peter-jackson.blogspot.com. I have been off for a while, when my uncle broke his back, but I saw your comment, and greatly appreciated it. I have written a post about you, if you would like to take a look at my 'new and improved' blog. Unfortuantely, I couldn't track down an email address for you, so I've had to come and write here. Please reply either in the comments section of my blog (you know your way around there pretty good) or my personal email address - debmerill@dodo.com.au.
Great blog you have here - please reply to ensure that you got this message,

Bernard Bargess.

Suzanne said...

Well thank heavens I always wake up in a brilliant mood! Otherwise this blog would have needed a disclaimer along the lines of "Anyone suffering from depression will need to take a little yellow pill before reading".
Good dry humour though!

Anonymous said...

Excellent cartoons, there. I'm surprised they weren't snatched up by one of the dailys.

Good Dog said...

Fantastic!

Elliot Cowan said...

Brilliant cartoonist that Elliot guy.

Brian Sibley said...

SUZANNE, QENNY & GOOD DOG - Hear, hear!!

ELLIOT - You're a cheeky little sod! But then you're also an Aussie! ;-)

Ryan Rasmussen said...

These cartoons are wonderful and all too true -- and it's always heartening to see someone making lemonade out of the corporate lemons!