Saturday 17 April 2010

CAPTURING THE DOCTOR

With the General Election looming and in the wake of the first political leaders' debate, it's good to look back to former national leaders and to contemplate their strengths and weaknesses, which is why I'll be tuning in to Doctor Who today as the Doctor sets off in answer to a call for help from Britain's WWII premier, Winston Churchill...



Oooooo! Daleks, too!

I wonder whether in, say another forty odd years, whether there'll be an episode of Doctor Who with whoever is then inhabiting the Time Lord's consciousness visiting Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair or Gordon Brown? Let's wait and see, shall we?

When I last posted on the topic of the Doctor's new series, I reproduced a great piece of artwork showing the first ten Doctors, as seen by artist Jon Pinto.

Well, as Matt Smith settles pretty comfortably into the role of the eleventh Doctor (with two cracking episodes, so far, and what looks like more to come), Jon Pinto has added his likeness to his Who Portrait Gallery with a picture that, I think, perfectly captures Smith's look and mannerisms...

The Eleventh Doctor
And here is with his ten predecessors...

The Eleven Doctors

To find printable Doctor Who posters along with wallpapers for your computer and iphone and individual portraits of the eleven Doctors visit Jon Pinto's blog.

Images © Jon Pinto, 2010, uploaded from my flickr Photostream.

5 comments:

Chuck Munson said...

That has all the hallmarks of a rather stylish Doctor Who trading card, or better yet for the philatelist in me, a definitive Doctor Who series (not to take away from the UK's Machin Head series of the Queen which is remarkable for its simplicity and longevity and now, after so many rate hikes, sheer volume). So there's a couple ideas for the talented Mr. Pinto and any savvy marketers out there.
BBC America introduces us to the new Doctor tonight. I can hardly wait!

Brian Sibley said...

Thanks, CHUCK, I really hope someone takes up Jon Pinto's terrific character artwork. And I hope you enjoy the start of new series, tonight...

SharonM said...

What a terrific poster - every home should have one!

Jon Pinto said...

Wow. You continue to honor me with your praise sir. Thank you so much.

Brian Sibley said...

SHARON M - I agree!

JON PINTO - I just want lots of people to discover your excellent and highly individual artwork. I really hope they do!