Thursday 28 July 2011

SNOW IN JULY

Several years ago now, I posted on the subject of clowns and the not-entirely-irrational fear that they engender in some people.

Among those of the clowning profession whom I mentioned was the Russian genius, Vyacheslav Ivanovich Polunin or Slava (left), whose wonderfully bizarre, infinitely heartwarming entertainment, Slava's Snowshow will be touring the UK this autumn and returning to London in December.

Simon Callow, never an actor given to underemphasis, described Snow show as "The single most beautiful thing I have ever seen in a theatre in my life", and I couldn't agree more.

David and I saw Slava at the Old Vic many years go and it has remained with us both as one of the most astonishing, funny and moving experiences we have ever enjoyed.


Here's a film of part of Slava's Snowshow that captures something of what it was like to be in audience: but without the full shiver-making frisson as the furious tempo of Carl Orff's 'O Fortuna' from Carmina Burana mounts to its scorching crescendo as you are literally dazzled and blasted by a blinding blizzard of brilliant cold whiteness.

If you catch even a hint of Slava's magic here – go and see the real thing!




3 comments:

Arts and Crafts said...

Slava's show was the end of a pleasant night of Christmas Eve last year, trough ARTE, french-german tv. Pure old mime, I never, never like the clowns (don't know why)but this show enchanted me, soberb.

Michael said...

The video of Snowshow was quite incredible! I can only imagine what it would be like to be there! Quite amazing!

elizabethanne said...

Having experienced actual snow in July, when a holiday to the Canadian Rocky Mountains had to be cut short due to the road between Banff and Jasper being closed because of a snowstorm (!) I think I'd far prefer this sort of snow.

Too bad I'll not be in London in December to see this!

SCB