Tuesday 12 July 2011

HIGH PEAKES

There have been lots of great comments about The History of Titus Groan on Facebook and Twitter and, despite the dearth of BBC publicity, it seems to be finding an enthusiastic audience.

Next week's Radio Times goes some way to making up for its odd coverage last week, by calling the series "this glorious dramatisation... The entire cast are magnificent. It's surreal, black-humoured and wickedly enjoyable."

I carried the banner at the British Library's celebration last evening sharing the stage with Sebastian Peake and China Miéville and a daunting trio of readers: John Sessions, Zoe Wanamaker and Miranda Richardson.

Over the weekend I visited an exhibition of paintings and drawings by Mervyn and his wife, Maeve Gilmore at Viktor Wynd Fine Art, here I am with Sebastian in front of one of his mother's paintings of him as a boy on Sark...

Brian & Sebastian Peake

The website We Love This Book celebrates 100 Years of Mervyn Peake and publishes an extract from Clare Peake's poignant and beautiful portrait of her parents Under a Canvas Sky as well as my introduction to Maeve's novel, Titus Awakes – along with a goodly puff for the radio series!

6 comments:

scb said...

Fascinating stuff, Brian! I'm impatiently awaiting my copy of the Gormenghast trilogy to arrive from amazon -- it's about time I read it!

Lo said...

I am glad someone appreciates your efforts and genius.

Hope your series is a smash.

Boll Weavil said...

It's kind of fitting that what you do best (i.e. your work as a dramatist) should again be feted as we celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the LOTR first appearance. Three decades on yo're still taking the bows :-)

Boll Weavil said...

It's kind of fitting that what you do best (i.e. your work as a dramatist) should again be feted as we celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the LOTR first appearance. Three decades on yo're still taking the bows :-)

SharonM said...

Kudos to you, Brian.

Now is the time to start thinking about what you want to dramatise next and making the approach!

Brian Sibley said...

SCB – Oh, the responsibility! I didn't give a money-back guarantee, did I? ;)

Lo - *Blush*

Boll – What a nice things to say! And apropos of TLOTR, I am delighted that, thirty years on, the actor who narrated that series, Gerard Murphy (in his first radio job), joins the cast of Titus Groan in parts 5 & 6 as Muzzlehatch.

Sharon – You are right! I do sound as if a) I am (over) blowing my own trumpet and b) resting on my laurels! It's been a long time since I have had a major (or even a minor) work on radio and I am savouring it rather too indulgently! Yes, the big question is "What next?" although coming up with an idea is considerably easier than selling it!