Saturday 14 September 2013

DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT

Here I am with Lindsay Fulcher of the Lewis Carroll Society and Dr Jonathan Miller following last night's Roger Lancelyn Green Memorial lecture, 'Somewhere in Wonderland', at the Art Worker's Guild, after which I was in conversation with the good doctor about his 1966 TV film of Alice in Wonderland...


My somewhat  inane grin is probably relief at having got through an hour of chat in which the names of Michael Redgrave, John Gielgud, Malcolm Muggeridge, Leo McKern, Peters Cook and Sellers and other players in the star-studded cast were jostling for attention with the likes of Descartes, Freud, Wittgenstein, Huxley, Searle and Chomsky...

But it was a fascinating (if slightly exhausting) encounter and, I honestly believe Dr M enjoyed it more than it looks as if he did!

By the way, that's John Searle (author of Speech Acts: An Essay in the Philosophy of Language), not Ronald! So glad I didn't make a joke about St Trinian's... 

2 comments:

Rob Cox said...

So sorry the evening was fully booked before I got round to applying for tickets! It sounds like a good 'do'. I remember watching Miller's 'Alice' on TV when I was 18/19 and it had a lasting effect on me. It brought back some confused feelings I had as a child particularly with regard to the strange behaviour of adults!!

Brian Sibley said...

Exactly so, Rob. The awkwardness of the child-becoming-an-adult who wants to defy those loony grown-ups is perfectly captured by Miller.