Monday 31 August 2015

ALICE GOES TO PIECES

I love jigsaw puzzles and my friends Sheila and Roger recently gave me this delightful miniature Wentworth wooden puzzle featuring Alice in Wonderland. There are just 40 pieces, so its absolutely perfect for an afternoon tea-break especially since, as with all Wentworth puzzles, it has specially-cut pieces shaped like knives, forks and spoons, teapots, cups and saucers,
“Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly. 
"I've had nothing yet," Alice replied in an offended tone, "so I can't take more." 
"You mean you can't take less," said the Hatter: "it's very easy to take more than nothing."
The picture shows a cavalcade of characters from Lewis Carroll's book together with a selection of memorable quotes...


What particularly intrigued me was the label in the Hatter's topper: not the usual Tenniel-dictated price-tag, 'In this Style 10/6', but – as far as I know – the uniquely-worded message: 'FOR SALE, ENQUIRE WITHIN'!


No comments: