Saturday 22 August 2020

MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN

Today, 22 August 2020, is the 100th anniversary of the birthday of RAY BRADBURY, one of the all-time greatest writers of fantasy fiction and a personal friend for almost forty years.

 


Portrait of Ray Bradbury by Barnaby Conrad

[Sibley-Weeks collection]

 

To mark this significant day, I’m posting a link to the full, raw, unedited recording of an interview I had with Ray in November 1988, taped in the Disneyland Hotel, Anaheim, California. I was there covering a publicity junket to mark Mickey Mouse’s 60th birthday and as I didn’t have the time to go over to Ray, he got a cab and came down to visit me.

 

The recording begins mid-conversation with talk about a new edition of Alice in Wonderland illustrated with Victorian lantern slides that I had recently edited and introduced, a copy of which I had carried with me to give to Ray.

 

 

In exchange, he gave me a copy of his newly published story collection, The Toynbee Convector –– with a unforgettable inscription!

 

 
 
 

 

Although I had many meeting with Ray over the years, very few of them were recorded – this being one the longest and, I think, most revealing…

 

Follow this LINK to SOUNDCLOUD to hear BRADBURY 100

 

 


2 comments:

Nick Clark said...

I love this interview. Once Ray gets going he's off. Good job you didn't touch his head and utter those magic words 'live forever'

Michael G. said...

Brian -thanks, this is wonderful!