Wednesday 20 April 2011

WHEN'S A HOT CROSS BUN NOT A BUN?

When it's a loaf!

Hot Cross Loaf!

To my mind (and I'm someone one for whom one HCB is never enough!) this ingenious offering from Asda seemed a bit extreme, but apparently not...

Last April, bakers at Hovis created – or, perhaps, built would be a better word – an HCB that was 9 foot by 5 foot: a total area of 45 square feet or the equivalent of 2,000 regular buns!

The ingredients? "48 kg of British Wheat flour, 4 kg mixed fruit, 68 whole eggs, 6 kg sugar, 6 kg butter; plus litres of milk & water and mixed spice." But how many litres and how much mixed spice? Vital information missing there for all budding home bakers, I fear!

Anyway, here's what it (or part of it) looked like...


You can read the whole(meal) story, along with some interesting facts about the history of the HCB, here.

6 comments:

SharonM said...

I'm sure you could force yourself to eat that regular size Hot Cross Loaf (perhaps with a little help from David and Buttons).

Suzanne said...

Well, of course, these days, everything has to be bigger & (not necessarily?!) better!

Brian Sibley said...

Sharon – I did!! ;)

Suzanne – Yep! That's about the size of it!

Andy Latham said...

I still don't know what the cross on a hot cross bun is made of. Perhaps I don't want to know!

Phil said...

Well, at least it's now the season for eating HCBs. They've been on sale in the shops since December!

Boll Weavil said...

I've just scoffed one but I'm willing to go super-sized !