Wednesday 5 September 2007

PERSPECTIVE

The Greeks say...

Live TODAY...



...forget the PAST



This is one of my favourite photographs taken here in Emborios. It was one of maybe a half-dozen pictures which I shot late one afternoon (about 18.00) just before the sun dipped below the level of the mountains. The fact that my friend GILL (who introduced us to this idyllic spot) has this image as her screen saver I take as a great compliment...

The last couple of days, however, Kalymnos has been easing us into an acceptance that we have just five days left here: temperatures have dropped to what feels an almost chilly 80 F and, today, the (for us) unseen phenomena of almost unbroken cloud cover with a decidedly rainy prospect in view.

A timely reminder - though one that we would have happily lived without! - that literally and metaphorically we can't expect to have sun EVERY day of our lives...

Crummy! All these Greek proverbs have finally started to get to me!


Image: © Brian Sibley, 2007

3 comments:

Brian Sibley said...

GILL comments:

How nice to see that picture on your blog!

I have just looked up the 5 day forecast for Kos [the closest the internet will take me] and I must warn you they are forecasting a positively arctic 78 degrees for Sunday!

Don't suppose you want to know that the last 10 days or so have been warm and sunny in South East England.....though not quite your temperatures!

Safe travelling home

Brian Sibley said...

Thanks, Gill!! ;-)

Actually, it's OK: I've never minded a few clouds towards the end of any holiday - it seems to make leaving easier!

SharonM said...

Think of us in Grey Glasgow, where there has been (and continues to be) so little sun this 'summer' and the temperature is in the low sixties.
Still, I believe summer is still to come so you might enjoy some more Greek weather when you get back - and it might even reach as far as Scotland.