Sunday 20 October 2013

THE (NEAR) RETURN OF MARY POPPINS

This year's London Film Festival closes this evening with the premiere of Saving Mr Banks, Disney's film account of the difficult time the studio's founder experienced, in the early 'sixties, when making what was to become one of his most successful movies – Mary Poppins.

The new film stars Tom Hanks as the Hollywood dream-merchant and Emma Thompson as P L Travers, the author of the Mary Poppins books, who was fiercely protective of her heroine and feistily determined to be heard in script conferences with the film's screenwriter, Don DaGradi, and the soon-to-be-legendary Oscar-winning song-smiths, Richard and Robert Sherman.

Saving Mr Banks, which skillfully interweaves, the Burbank back-stage story with that of Pamela Travers' difficult childhood growing up in Australia, has brought back many memories of this extraordinary – but far from easy – woman who was, for many years, a friend and, for a brief while, a collaborator when, in the mid '80s, we worked on a to-date unmade sequel to Disney's 1964 box-office triumph, provisionally entitled Mary Poppins Comes Back.

What followed (or, at least, some of what transpired) is revealed in an article by Vincent Dowd, who recently interviewed me for the BBC World Service –– Mary Poppins: Brian Sibley's sequel that never was.

At the time all this was happening, another friend of mine, Academy Award-winning Animator Richard Williams, was working for the Disney studio as Animation Director on Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Dick made me a drawing that still hangs on my wall as a reminder of a project that nearly-almost-might-have-happened...



In the end, like the hapless Roger, I (and Mary Poppins 2) went headfirst down that manhole, but it was a memorable trip!

You can read more in past blog-posts about P L Travers and 'our' film, here and here.

11 comments:

WendyLady@GoodBooks said...

Fascinating article by Vincent Dowd - thank you for sharing it. Your recollections of PL Travers me very happy!

I actually just read MARY POPPINS (for the first time!), because I wanted to know Travers' original work before going to see "Saving Mr. Banks".

I've always loved the Disney Mary Poppins, but the book/short stories are genius! My favorite chapters were the ones that weren't in the film!

Did you see "Saving Mr. B" at the film festival? I was a bit surprised that Tom Hanks was cast as Walt Disney. Emma Thompson (in the preview I saw) seems to make a rather foreboding PL Travers!

WendyLady@GoodBooks said...

Fascinating article by Vincent Dowd - thank you for sharing it. Your recollections of PL Travers me very happy!

I actually just read MARY POPPINS (for the first time!), because I wanted to know Travers' original work before going to see "Saving Mr. Banks".

I've always loved the Disney Mary Poppins, but the book/short stories are genius! My favorite chapters were the ones that weren't in the film!

Did you see "Saving Mr. B" at the film festival? I was a bit surprised that Tom Hanks was cast as Walt Disney. Emma Thompson (in the preview I saw) seems to make a rather foreboding PL Travers!

Boll Weavil said...

Once again you come up with an unbeatable momento of the time :-)

Brian Sibley said...

Wendy – I wonder whether some of your 'favourites' were in the original drafts for the first film or in our sequel! I love the film, but so glad you now know the books. Tom isn't quite Walt (for those who know what he looked and sounded like) and Emma is a bit prim, but ultimately sympathetic and you feel that she understands PLT.

Boll – Well, it's certainly a curious souvenir of an undoubtedly curious incident in my life! :)

Wobble The Witch Cat said...

I hope that one day it will get made and I treasure my copy of the draft screenplay that you kindly gave me in 1988! I thank you for a splendid memorable holiday the memory of which will stay with me forever!

Beth Stilborn said...

Fascinating stuff, Brian! You never cease to amaze me -- what incredible projects you've been involved with (even if they haven't all come to fruition). Bravo, my friend!

Phil said...

A propos of nothing very much, I couldn't help noticing the design similarity between the poster for SAVING MR BANKS and the current edition of your book SHADOWLANDS!49 inglDev

Phil said...

Ooops, inadvertently typed the Captcha code into the comments box on my recent comment!

Boris Hiestand said...

Great article and wonderful post, I had no idea a second film had been in development, let alone that you were involved. Looking forward to the 50th anniversary blue ray release.

John Forrest said...

I've been looking forward to your Mary Poppins 2 for many years also Brian, and hope we'll see it.

'Saving Mr Banks' will inevitably win some of the big awards. Hollywood always likes to celebrate itself especially when it's portrayed positively and with such affection.

I loved the line about how story tellers can give hope to the world.

The film sensitively portrays Mrs Travers and the inspiration behind her stories. But of course it's never enough and so it's terrific to also read of your own interactions with the lady now firmly established as a Hollywood legend.

I hope Mary Poppins 2 will one day do the same for you!

Brian Sibley said...

Thanks, guys...